The Kentucky Derby was this last weekend and we joined with some friends to Derby it up in style at Golden Gate Fields in Berkeley, CA. It makes for an inexpensive day on Sundays, when it's Dollar Day! Pretty much everything is $1!
TIP: Use the Buchanan St. Entrance- the Gilman entrance is more expensive and a parking nightmare!
This is the second time we've been with the kids. They enjoy playing with their pals, watching the horses run, checking the horses out before the race, watching the bands and spotting all of the funny hats!
Tips to make it more relaxing for all involved:
1. Sunscreen, hats and jackets- when the shade hits and the wind picks up, it gets chilly.
2. Bring lots of snacks for the kiddos!
3. Watch from those middle box-like seats upstairs. We occupied two and let the kids have free reign over both. It gives them a bit of room to roam, but also keeps them contained.
4. Bring some toys and art supplies.
5. Go get a closer look at the horses both before the race and just as a race finishes.
6. Have your kiddo pick a favorite color or number and root for that horse.
Have a great day out and if you are the type to put a few dollars down on that lucky horse- best of luck to you!!